November 21, 2010

'Tis the Season (and All That Jazz)


OK, I don't know how it happened, but I woke up this morning and, voila! Christmas was on the agenda. I know, I know, Walmart is still selling Halloween candy (at 90% off), and Thanksgiving is almost here but still not quite. Yet Santa made his debut in town today, along with Mrs. Claus and the Snow Baby, in the back of our red sleigh.

So, in protest against the early disappearance of late afternoon sun and balmy breezes, I decided to ride Gillette and let Terry take the sleigh. Yes, I put a hefty strand of deafening brass sleigh bells around his neck, but any responsible horse person can justify them as a deterrent to Autumn hunters. For the sake of being a good example to youngsters everywhere, I wore my riding helmet proudly. Those youngsters, of course, quickly looked past me and my pure white steed to that jolly man in the back of the sleigh, crying, "Santa Claus! Santa Claus! Look at me!" Such travesty. And as I smiled and waved from atop my tall horse I realized what a futile attempt I had made to keep Autumn and forego Winter, for in the end, it was the big man in the red suit that everyone was really there for.

No comments:

Post a Comment